The Continental European Council (CEC) of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ):
- advises the Union on matters affecting members on the continent of Europe
- acts for the Union's National Executive Council (NEC) in implementing union policy and in establishing branches in continental Europe
- seeks to negotiate linking agreements with journalists' unions in continental Europe
- raises awareness on European matters
- reports regularly to the NEC on its activities
Each NUJ branch in continental Europe elects two delegates annually to the CEC, which meets at least twice a year. Between meetings, the delegates communicate extensively by e-mail. The Council is also supported by a Servicing Officer at the NUJ's London headquarters.